By Forrest Allen
Midland College Athletic Director
The Midland College Lady Chaparral volleyball team will observe their annual Breast Cancer Awareness event on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 just prior to their 7:00 p.m. match against Frank Phillips College. This will be the fifth consecutive year the Lady Chaps have worked to bring attention to the scourge that is breast cancer.
* Someone, including men and women and young women as young as 20, being diagnosed with breast cancer every two minutes.
* Every 14 minutes, a life is lost to the disease.
* Out of the expected 40,000 breast cancer deaths that will occur in 2012, 400 of them will be men.
* 85% of all diagnoses have no family history.
* Breast cancer is the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40-55.
All female members of Midland College's three sports teams (volleyball, basketball and softball) as well as the cheerleading team, will be present at the match and will be wearing specially designed Breast Cancer Awareness t-shirts. We're asking our fans and supporters to wear pink in support of the evening's activities.