According to the American Heart Association, walking has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity. Think it doesn’t do any good? Think again. Walking for as little as 30 minutes a day can have the following health benefits:
• Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
• Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
• Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
• Enhance mental well-being
• Improve blood lipid profile
• Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
• Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
• Reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
Walking is low impact; easier on the joints than running. It is safe – with a doctor’s okay – for people with orthopedic ailments, heart conditions, and those who are more than 20% overweight. In addition, research has shown that you could gain two hours of life for each hour of regular exercise! That quick stroll around the block seems a little more worthwhile now, doesn’t it?
The Midland Walk with a Doc program is part of a nationwide initiative funded in Texas by a grant from the Texas Medical Association Foundation with major support from the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust.
Join Dr. Manoher L. Gurru and other people looking to improve their health at the next Walk With A Doc event.
• More from Dr. Gurru on the benefits of this weekend's event
Date: Saturday, October 8, 2016
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Allison Fine Arts Building,
3600 N. Garfield, Midland, Texas
Who can attend: Anyone!